Benefits of Working for Sutton College
Sutton College values its staff. We understand the need to provide a supportive environment to enable them to deliver the best possible education and training to our learners.
The majority of posts within the College are graded to allow for progression through a number of spinal points. Employees will usually be appointed on the minimum scale point of the grade. Each vacancy advertised will display the minimum and maximum salary within the grade. In addition to the salary package there are other benefits that the College offers to all staff.
Final Salary Pension Scheme
All employees are entitled to belong to either the Teachers’ Pension Scheme or the Local Government Pension Scheme. You pay a percentage of your monthly salary and the College also makes a contribution.
Annual Leave Entitlements
In addition to the Bank and Public Holidays normally observed in England and Wales the generous entitlements are as follows;
- Support staff – up to 25 days (dependent on length of service and grade) plus 4 College closure days over the Christmas period.
- Academic staff – 35 days leave (for sessional tutors this allowance is pro-rata and included in the hourly rate calculations / preparation time payments) plus 4 College closure days over the Christmas period.
As an employee of the London Borough of Sutton, you are eligible to enjoy various valuable discounts and savings available on a range of top brand products and services (e.g. discounted leisure centre memberships, special mortgage offers, discounts at restaurants and many more).
A number of national unions are recognised by the London Borough of Sutton (including Unison and UCU).
Health, Safety and Wellness Benefits
We use a specialist Occupational Health provider for pre-employment screening and medical advice and screening related to absence. We currently offer an Employee Assistance Programme (a 24/7 confidential information and advice service) through Workplace Options
As a College with a very wide-ranging curriculum including Sport & Pottery, we employ a dedicated Health & Safety Officer and have detailed and comprehensive policies and practices on all aspects of the Health & Safety for our staff and students
Family and Future
- Family friendly benefits for example recognising that parents of young children may wish to adjust their working hours.
The College believes that all staff are entitled to appropriate support to enable them to carry out their role effectively. We define Learning and Development as something more than just adding knowledge and skills to improve performance. We work together to develop people, processes and performance to achieve lasting improvement. This includes;
- Personal Development – including a discount on College courses (terms and conditions apply)
- Professional Development – including attendance at external events such as conferences (terms and conditions apply)
- A comprehensive performance management system
- Creating a more flexible workforce able to deliver a high quality, customer-focused service